Other Churches up to c.1830

Old Liverpool Churches @ allertonOak  
 
Old Liverpool Churches home page
allertonOak home page
Introduction
These are the most significant of the remaining churches built before about 1830. There was a spate of church building after 1750 as the prosperity of Liverpool grew and the wealthy demanded places of worship near to their homes and were willing to pay for them. The pressures of the last 150 years have brought about an inexorable decline and only three of these wonderful buildings remain standing.
In the text below, whole paragraphs in italic are quotations from original sources, as follows:
LI   Lancashire Illustrated by S. Austin, J. Harwood and G. and C. Pyne, 1831
SIL   The Stranger in Liverpool, Anon., 1841.
St. Luke's Church in the 1950s
St. Paul's Church, St. Paul's Square
St. Paul's Church was built to the design of Thomas Lightoller on St. Paul's Square near Old Hall Street from 1763 to its opening in 1769. With its dome and classical architecture it was reminiscent of St. Paul's in London. When it was built this was a well-to-do district, but by the later 19th century the area had gone into decline. The church fell victim to diminishing congregations and was closed in 1901. The site was acquired by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company in 1910 as part of a planned extension to Exchange Station, but in 1931 the church was still standing, though derelict and dangerous. It was demolished that year following a fatal accident involving a young boy. The site is now a complex of office blocks.
  This noble ecclesiastical structure stands in the north-west quarter of Liverpool, in the centre of a square which takes its name from the building, the western side of the square, facing the principal entrance to the church, being formed by Earle Street. St. Paul's Church, Liverpool, a miniature imitation of that architectural chef d'oeuvre erected by Sir Christopher Wren in the Metropolis, was [...] consecrated to divine uses in 1769. [...] From the simplicity of its architecture, and the massiveness of the parts, the exterior of this church possesses a solemnity and sublimity of character strikingly adapted to the nature of its holy services, and contrasts, in a marked manner, with some of the more modern and lighter specimens that adorn the town. [LI]
  St Paul's Church, a miniature imitation of the great cathedral of London, was built [...] at the expense of the town, and consecrated in 1769. It has a bold Ionic portico on the west side, the pediment of which, with its large projection, produces an agreeable recess of shadow upon the body of the building, and finely relieves the four columns which support the front. The south and north fronts have each a pediment supported in like manner, but not with so great a projection. To each of these fronts there is a handsome flight of steps, which lead to the several entrances into the church, the main body of which is of the Ionic order, standing upon a low, rustic basement. The stonework is finished at the top with plain vases and a range of balustrades. In the centre, upon an octangular base, rises a dome, on which is placed a lantern, terminated with a large gilt ball and cross. Within, the dome is supported by eight Ionic columns, which, being lofty, large, and of a dark-gray colour, have a rude and unpleasing appearance. The galleries, which are neatly constructed and pewed, retreat behind these columns, and are privately supported by brackets inserted in the shafts of the pillars. The ground floor is divided into open seats for the use of the poor. The altar is an oval niche, plain and neat. The great inconvenience in this church, as it was originally erected, was, that the minister’s voice could scarcely be heard by a great part of the congregation. The pulpit was moveable, but in no part in which it was placed could the voice be made distinct. In 1818, however, some judicious alterations were made in the interior, which have almost removed the inconvenience. [SIL]
St. Paul's Church c.1830
The Unitarian Chapel, Paradise Street
The Unitarian Chapel on Paradise Street was built in 1791 to an octagonal plan. It was located on the south corner of Paradise Street and School Lane, now part of the Liverpool One development. It ceased to be a chapel in 1849 and was converted into the Royal Colosseum Theatre and Music Hall in 1850. It became the central part of the extended new building, which incorporated some of the original features, including the old pews for seating. The building had an eventful life as a theatre, passing through a number of incarnations, with only the frontage of the chapel surviving by 1904. It ceased to function as a theatre in 1916 and was used as a warehouse until it was bombed during the May Blitz of 1941 and subsequently demolished.
  The form of this structure is octagonal, open at one of the sides, in which is the principal entrance. Each side of the octagon exhibits two windows: an attic balustrade rum round the whole, ornamented with vases at each angle: in the centre is a large octagonal lantern, with small vases at the angles. A handsome iron gate and railing enclose a small area, which gives an additional ornament to the building. The inside is well lighted, and in every respect commodious. The seats are lined and ornamented; the pulpit supported by six columns, with a double flight of stairs, makes a very pleasing appearance. The gallery is well-constructed, and in the front is richly inlaid and veneered with beautiful woods. It has a handsome, well-toned organ. The whole is well planned, and finished with a degreeof taste and elegance seldom to be met with in structures of this kind. [SIL]
The Paradise Street Unitarian Chapel c.1830
Chapel of the School for the Blind, Duncan Street then Hardman Street
St. Mary's Chapel of the School for the Indigent Blind has an unusual history. The Liverpool School for the Indigent Blind was opened in 1791 and was the first specialist school for the blind in the country. It was founded by Edward Rushton, who was himself blind. The chapel was designed by John Foster and the foundation stone was laid in 1818 on Duncan Street (later Hotham Street). It opened in 1819 and was connected to the school, which was situated on the opposite corner between London Road and Lord Nelson Street (behind the present Empire Theatre), by a tunnel. It was dismantled and rebuilt on the corner of Hardman Street and Hope Street in 1850 next to where the new School for the Blind was being constructed. The original site soon became part of Lime Street Station. The new chapel and school opened in 1851. The chapel closed in 1927 and was demolished in 1930. An extension to the School for the Blind was completed on the site in 1932 and the school closed in 1957. Since then the buildings have had several uses, currently (2016) as restaurants.
The Chapel of the School for the Blind in 1929
This church is situate in Duncan-street, and communicates with the school by a subterraneous passage. The foundation-stone was laid on the 6th of October, 1818, by Dr. Law, the then lord bishop of this diocese; and the church was opened on the 6th of October, in the following year, by the same right reverend prelate: a space unusually short for the erection of so beautiful a piece of architecture. The architect of this church, after a long residence in Greece, was desirous of exhibiting a specimen of Grecian architecture, as far as its application was consistent with the convenience and funds of the charity; and, in consequence, proposed the design of the portico at the west end, which is an exact copy of the portico of the temple of Jupiter Panhellenius, in the island of Egina, where the architect, Mr. John Foster, in company with Mr. Ceckerell, of London, made, in 1811, some very important antiquarian discoveries. As a specimen of architecture, ...
... the portico cannot fail to attract the attention of the connoisseur and the classical antiquary. It is of a peculiar species of the Doric order; and the example from which it is taken is one of the earliest specimens of Grecian architecture, and the only remains of that era now extant. The exterior of the remaining parts of the building is perfectly in unison with the character of the portico; and evidently seems to have been selected with singular propriety for the present object and occasion. The church is capable of accommodating 1,000 persons. The town of Liverpool is certainly rich in the possession of this example of classic taste, which has made such a splendid addition to its architectural beauties. It is to the genius and talents of Mr. Foster that his native town is indebted for this permanent mark of distinguished pre-eminence, as we are not aware that a similar specimen of ancient Grecian architecture exists in any part of the kingdom. [SIL]
Trinity Church, St. Anne Street
Trinity Church was consecrated in 1792 on the corner of St. Anne Street and Springfield, now a patch of greenery. It later became by amalgamation the Church of the Holy Trinity and St. Mary Magdalene. It was damaged by bombing during the May Blitz of 1941, closed in 1968 and demolished shortly after.
  Trinity Church stands on the east side of St. Anne-street, erected by private proprietors, [...] and was consecrated in 1792. It is a stone building, with a tower to the west, with vases at each angle: the north and south fronts have each two ranges of five windows, with circular heads; on the top is an attic demi-balustrade. The inside is pleasingly designed and well-finished. [SIL]
Trinity Church c.1830
Christ Church, Hunter Street
Christ Church on Hunter Street, known as the Temple Church, was built in 1797 and consecrated in 1799. The area has been extensively redeveloped, but the site is now the green behind the Unite building, adjacent to the County Sessions House. It was closed in 1920 and, according to the OS maps, seems to have been demolished in the 1930s or 1940s.
  Christ Church, an elegant and costly edifice, situate in Hunter-street, [...] is built of brick, ornamented with stone. It has no tower; but a light and well-constructed dome, or cupola, rises from the north end, and is seen to advantage from many parts of the town. The yard is contracted, and has but few tombs, the principal cemetery being a vault running under the body of the church, the entrance to which is at the north end. The inside of the church is remarkably handsome and well finished, the entire body being fitted up with lined and painted pews. [...] A marble tablet on the right bears an inscription, which informs us that, in the year 1797, this church was erected at the sole expense of the late John Houghton, esq. [...] The church is galleried on three sides, with an upper and lower gallery, and an organ-gallery at the south end. The entrance into the galleries is by four staircases of stone, judiciously disposed so as to prevent confusion; the entrances to the upper gallery being from the outside, and those to the lower from the inside of the church. Through a door of the upper gallery there is a passage into the cupola, in which is a room with four lofty windows commanding a prospect of the town. The view is, however, more complete, if an ascent be made, by a ladder, to the circular gallery which surrounds the cupola nearly at the top. The ascent is commodious and without danger. [SIL]
Christ Church c.1830
St. Mark's Church in the early 1800s ...
St. Mark's Church, Upper Duke Street
The building of St. Mark's Church began in 1802 and was completed in 1803 without the consent of Liverpool Corporation. It was situated on Upper Duke Street between Berry Street and Roscoe Street. Comments of Liverpool Corporation included 'the building was extremely defective in its internal accommodation and external appearance' and 'it could not claim even to a small place in Liverpool’s architectural adornments'. Because of the dispute, the church was not consectrated until 1815.
Sometime before 1830 the body of the church was extended, making it one of Liverpool's largest churches with seating for 2400. The tower had to be dismantled c.1830 'on account of real or supposed danger'. Cleaning and renovation were undertaken in the 1860s but thereafter it was the usual story of growing poverty in the neighbourhood and falling congregation numbers. In 1908 the parish was absorbed into the neighbouring parishes and the building was finally demolished in 1923. The site was subsequently used for warehouses and currently there is a Chinese supermarket there.
  This church [...] is situate at the upper end of Duke-street. It is a plain and extensive building of brick, remarkably commodious and well disposed within. It has a large painted window in the chancel, and is finished throughout in an elegant and pleasing style, It ranks, in point of size, among the first erections of divine worship in the town. [...] It was licensed in 1803, and consecrated in 1815. [SIL]
... c.1830 just before the tower was dismantled ...
... and without the tower in 1910
St. Philip's Church, Hardman Street
St. Philip's Church was the third of Liverpool's cast iron churches, dating from 1816. It was located on Hardman Street on a plot bounded by Baltimore Street, Back Maryland Street and South Hunter Street, with a graveyard on Hardman Street. The other churches were St. George's in Everton (1814) and St. Michael's in the Hamlet in Toxteth (1815). They were designed by Thomas Rickman and built by John Cragg. Cragg made his money as the owner of the Mersey Iron Foundry in Tithebarn Street and was keen to exploit his business in the construction of churches. He was a founder member of the Liverpool Athenaeum, where he probably met Rickman. Rickman was self-taught as an architect, but became an authority on Gothic architecture (he is credited with introducing the term perpendicular in this context) and was a key figure in the Gothic revival in church design in the 19th century. These were probably the first buildings where standardised prefabricated cast iron parts (patented by Cragg) were used on a large scale for building frames and windows with a view to re-use of the moulds elsewhere to achieve large cost savings.
St. Philips was firmly in the Gothic style but was the least ambitious of the three, lacking as it did any tower. It was closed and sold in 1882 and the Salvation Army subsequently acquired it. It was demolished not long after and some of the cast iron was evidently incorporated in subsequent building on Hardman street, most likely in Kirkland's famous bakery, which opened in 1888 over the grounds of the church; the rest of the block, a uniform structure on the site of the actual church building, looks less promising as a recipient.
  St. Philip's Church is situate in Hardman-street, near to Rodney-street. It was [...] consecrated in 1816. It is in the Gothic style of architecture: the external walls are of brick, painted; and the principal part of the work in the inside, and of the outside ornaments, are of cast-iron. [SIL]
St. Philip's Church c.1830
St. Andrew's Church c.1830 ...
... and now
St. Andrew's Scotch Kirk, Rodney Street
St. Andrew's Church replaced the first Scottish Presbyterian church of 1793 just down the hill on Oldham Street. The façade in Greek Revival style was designed by John Foster Junior, who was responsible for so many Liverpool buildings, and the body of the church by Daniel Stewart. The foundation stone was laid in 1823 and the church opened in 1824. It closed in 1975 and was seriously damaged by fire in 1983. The site was acquired by Liverpool City Council in 2008 with the building in very poor condition. By 2015 the façade had been the restored and the interior rebuilt as student accomodation. The original churchyard remains, featuring a strange pyramid of 1868, which is the tomb of railway magnate William Mackenzie, said to be buried in a seated position.
  The Rodney Street Chapel is certainly an ornament to the town. The front is of stone; and the remainder of the building, though originally of brick, has been recently covered with stucco, which has given an appearance of congruity to the whole. [...] This structure was built in 1824, after a design of Mr. John Foster, Jun., whose name stands imperishably associated with some of the most classical buildings recently erected in his native town. [LI]
  [The church] is in Rodney-street, to which it is a very great ornament. It was opened in the year 1824. It is named after the patron saint of Scotland, and was built after a design by Mr. Foster. It is a very elegant structure. The front is of stone. The columns and pilasters of the portico are of the Ionic order, very much enriched, with a full entablature, surmounted by a balustrade: at the angles are the staircases; the lower parts correspond with the portico, each surmounted by a pedestal, upon which stands the turrets, composed of a square tower, with a window on each side, surrounded by eight insulated Corinthian columns, with a full entablature, pediment, and blocking, the whole terminating with a dome. [SIL]
Mackenzie's Tomb
St. Michael's Church c.1830 ...
St. Michael's Church, Pitt Street
St. Michael's Church was founded in 1816 and finally consecrated in 1826 after some financial problems. It was one of the last in a sequence of Georgian churches built in Liverpool, designed in a partly classical style modelled on St Martin in the Fields church in Trafalgar Square, London. It stood on a plot bounded by Pitt Street, Cornwallis Street, Grenville Street and Kent Street, near the present Chinatown and Ropewalks areas. The view down Pitt Street extended to St. George's and St. Nicholas's churches (see the engraving). It was severely damaged by bombing in the May Blitz of 1941 and the remains had to be demolished in 1946. A modest replacement was built in 1960.
  [St. Michael's church ...] is situate in Upper Pitt-street. It is of the Corinthian order, with an excellent portico surrounding the west, or steeple end, consisting of ten Corinthian columns, and two half columns [...]. There are four columns at the east end, the same as those beforementioned. The entablature which these columns support continues round the body of the church. The capital of the columns of the portico is copied from the remains of the temple of Jupiter Stator, at Rome. [...] The steeple, above the roof, has a pedestal, from which sixteen Ionic columns, attached to the walls, supporting an entablature and balustrading, spring: between the columns are belfry-windows, which have circular-heads and an architrave round them. [...] Behind the balustrading commences the pedestal for the Corinthian order, which consists of eight columns and pilasters, forming four projecting portals [...]. The spire, which is octangular, commences from this order, and is finished at the top with a capital. The total height of the steeple from the ground is 201 feet. [...] The parish of Liverpool expended the sum of £35,000 upon it; but, being unwilling to expend more, an arrangement was, in the early part of the year 1823, made with the corporation, under certain conditions, to finish the building, which has since been done at an additional expense of £10,267. 10s. 6d. [SIL]
... and c.1920
The Scotch Secession Church, Mount Pleasant
The Scotch Secession Church was designed by Samuel Rowland and opened in 1827, the congregation having previously been accomodated in Gloucester Street Chapel, another church gobbled up by the development of Lime Street station. It was situated on the corner of Mount Pleasant and Great Orford Street, adjacent to the surviving Wellington Rooms, the site now being part of Liverpool Science Park. It became a United Presbyterian Church in 1847 and a Presbyterian Church of England in 1877. It was closed in 1939 and destroyed during the May Blitz of 1941.
  [The chapel] was erected in the year 1827. [...] Built after designs by Mr. Rowland, at an expense of more than £6000, [it] is advantageously situated. [LI]
  The Scotch Secession Church is situate at the comer of Great Orford-street, Mount-pleasant. The front of this building is ornamented by four Doric pillars [...] sustaining an entablature, over which are five windows lighting the gallery. [...] On entering this church the occasional visiter is gratified by the appearance of the pulpit, which is approached on each side by winding stairs, supporting very handsome banisters. The building will contain 1,200 persons, and has been constructed from the design of Mr. S. Rowland, of this town.
The Scotch Secession Church c.1830
St. Martin's in the Fields c.1830 ...
St. Martin's in the Fields Church, Great Oxford Street North
The foundation stone of St. Martin's in the Fields, designed by John Foster Junior, was laid in 1828 and the church was consecrated in 1829. It was situated between Great Oxford Street North (later renamed Silvester Street) and Blenheim Street, about half-way along each. On the Vauxhall Road side was the parish cemetery. The church was built of red sandstone that later turned black because of industrial pollution and was nicknamed The Black Church. There was seating for 2000. It ceased holding services in the 1930s and, like so many others, was bombed in the May Blitz of 1941 leaving just a shell. It was closed in 1946 and the parish merged with Liverpool parish. The remains were demolished in the early 1950s and the graves moved to St. Mary's, Walton. There is now a sports and social centre on the site of the church and a children's playground on the site of the cemetery.
  The Church of St. Martin in the Fields is situated in Oxford-street North, and forms a very prominent and striking object upon entering the town from the Ormskirk-road, as well as from the shore and entrance into the river. Its style of architecture is the modern Gothic; [...] the height of the steeple from the ground is 198 feet. There are six lofty windows on each side of the church, in three bays, divided into six compartments, with pointed heads to each, moulded transums, with quarter-foil sunk panels, and window heads of flying tracery, the arches of each window supported by two carved corbel heads. Betwixt the windows there are projecting buttresses, surmounted with a canopy and pinnacle, richly-carved bosses, with crocket and finial. The tower is square, with octagonal turrets at each angle, surmounted with canopies and pinnacles, richly carved, similar to the others on the body of the church. Thirty-two feet above the cornice, a rich clock band, in two heights, as well as the cornice, is continued round the turrets. An octagonal spire rises from the tower, divided into four heights by three moulded bands, with sound windows to each of the three first tiers, the whole finished with a moulded cap and ornamental finial. [...] It was built by government, from the elegant designs of Mr. Foster, at an expense of £20,000, upon land given for that purpose by the late Edward Houghton, esq. The parish authorities have, since that period, purchased from that gentleman 10,000 square yards of land for a general burying-ground, extending as far down to the westward as Vauxhall-road. [SIL]
... and after the Blitz (?)
St. Bride's Church, Catharine Street
The foundation stone of St. Bride's Church was laid in 1818 and the building was constructed in 1829-30 to a design attributed to Samuel Rowland. It is in the classical style, like a Greek temple with its monumental portico, and described in the Pevsner Guide as 'the best surviving Neoclassical church in the city'. However, the external design at least is essentially indistinguishable from Foster's Chapel of the School for the Blind, founded at the same time but completed ten years earlier.
  The foundation stone of this modern temple was laid on the 6th of October, 1818, by Dr. Law, the then Lord Bishop of the diocese [and] it was consecrated on the 6th of October, 1819. This Church exhibits one of the purest copies of the early Grecian architecture to be met with in England. [LI]
  This edifice, in the Grecian style of architecture, is situate on the east side of Percy-street, Upper Parliament-street. It presents a fine bold portico of six columns [...] of the Ionic order, which has a fine effect to the westward, supporting a handsome entablature and pediment. The building is lighted by six windows on each side, of the Graeco-Egyptian form [...] surrounded by an architrave, and finished above with a moulded cornice and ornamented trusses. Four pilasters, with ornamental caps, support the entablature and cornice, surmounted with an elegant parapet, with open balustrades at each extremity. [...] The interior is spacious and elegant, and capable of accommodating not less than 1,400 persons, including 400 sittings for the poor. [...] The burying-ground is spacious, and surrounded with handsome iron palisades and gates. The whole is from the design, and executed under the superintendence, of Mr. Samuel Rowland, architect. [SIL]
St. Bride's Church c.1830 ...
... and now
St. Lukes's Church c.1830 from the south-east ...
After the blitz in 1941
St. Luke's Church, Leece Street
Lord Derby granted the land on which St. Luke's Church stands in 1791 with the condition that a church be built there. It was designed by John Foster Senior and founded in 1802. The foundation stone was laid in 1811 but the building was completed to a new design in the Gothic style by Foster's son, following a number of hold-ups, in 1831. The design made it suitable for joint use as a concert hall, a role it played until the Philharminic Hall opened in 1849. The church was hit by an incendiary bomb during the May Blitz of 1941, leaving only a burnt-out shell. It narrowly escaped demolition in the 1950s and 1960s, but is now preserved as a memorial to the Liverpool blitz. It is known locally as the Bombed-Out Church and is a prominent Liverpool landmark.
  This elegant ecclesiastical edifice is situated at the top of Bold Street, from whence its lofty and well-proportioned tower is seen to great advantage. [...] As a chaste and correct specimen of the highly decorated or florid style of Pointed architecture, this church may undoubtedly vie with any similar erection in the kingdom. [...] In plan, this elegant edifice comprises a nave and aisles, chancel, and tower at the west end. The chancel, which is by far the most original portion of the edifice, makes an imposing appearance in our view. It has a semi-hexagonal termination, and the divisions are made by panelled buttresses, terminating above the battlements in elegant octagonal turrets. [LI]
... and from the north-west
As it is today
The first stone of this fine structure was laid so long ago as April 9, 1811, by the late James Drinkwater, esq., then mayor; but, owing to a variety of unavoidable protractions, the building was not consecrated for public worship until so late a period as January 12, 1831. It is situated on the east side of Berry-street, and is a fine specimen of the Gothic of the 14th century. [...] The tower end, viewed from the top of Bold-street, has a particularly fine effect : it is symmetrical and lofty, being 137 feet in height; the angles have octagonal turrets, diminishing above the first cornice, and finishing at their extremes with embrasures. The principal entrance is approached by a lofty flight of steps, through a rich and well-proportioned door-way, the internal arch springing on clustered columns, with moulded caps, ...
... and enclosed in a continued florid label, surmounted by cap and finial. [...] The flanks of the building have projectile buttresses, surmounted by lofty pinnacles, with crockets and finials. [...] The lower area of the church, including the chancel, is capable of accommodating above two thousand persons. This splendid edifice cost £44,110, and was erected at the expense of the corporation, from designs and under the superintendence of John Foster, esq. The windows in the body and chancel of the church are ornamented with stained glass, of various patterns, and the armorial bearings of each member of the common council have their respective places. [...] The area of the churchyard is enclosed by a very handsome iron railing, with lofty, pinnacled gate-piers. [SIL]
St. Catharine's Church, Abercromby Square
St Catherine’s Church was designed by John Foster Junior and consecrated in 1831 in the centre of the east side of Abercromby Square. It was in the style of a Greek temple with the typical Ionic portico seen in similar Liverpool churches of the time. More unusually it also had a dome. It was gutted during the May Blitz of 1941, when the dome was destroyed, and not rebuilt. By the 1960s, dry rot from the ruins had spread to the adjoining buildings and the whole block was demolished by Liverpool University in 1966 to make way for Senate House, which now houses the Sydney Jones Library.
  The first stone of this church, which forms the centre of the east side of Abercromby-square, was laid on the 4th of September, 1829, and the building consecrated for divine service, by the lord bishop of Chester, January 14, 1831. It is capable of accommodating 1,100 persons [...]. In point of architectural beauty it is, perhaps, not surpassed by any other ecclesiastical building in town, and possesses great originality of design. Its principal front presents a beautifully proportioned Grecian-Ionic portico of six columns, surmounted by their appropriate entablature and dentilled cornice, and finished by a pediment and blocking. The extreme angles in this front, at each side of the centre portico, are finished by proper antae. [There is] a semicircular dome, perforated with diminishing apertures to nearly the top [...]. Externally the dome is surmounted bya ball and cross. The building, taken as a whole, is a fine specimen of pure Grecian architecture. [SIL]
St. Catharine's Church c.1960
 
Acknowledgements
Images in order, with thanks to the relevant parties:
St. Luke 1950, sourced from Chester Walls.
St.Paul engraved by Lowry after a picture by Harwood, from Lancashire Illustrated, 1831, sourced from Ancestry Images.
Unitarian Chapel engraved by J. Smith after a picture by G. & C. Pyne, from Lancashire Illustrated, 1831, sourced from Ancestry Images.
Blind School, courtesy Philip Mayer.
Trinity, from The Stranger in Liverpool, Anon., 1841, sourced from Google Books.
Christ Church, from The Stranger in Liverpool, Anon., 1841, sourced from Google Books.
St. Mark early 1800s, sourced from: Liverpool 1207.
St. Mark 1830, from The Stranger in Liverpool, Anon., 1841, sourced from Google Books.
St. Mark 1910, sourced from: Liverpool 1207.
St. Philip, from The Stranger in Liverpool, Anon., 1841, sourced from Google Books.
St.Andrew by Henry Jorden after a picture by G. & C. Pyne, from Lancashire Illustrated, 1831, sourced from Ancestry Images.
St.Michael 1830 engraved by F. R. Hay after a picture by Austin, published in Lancashire Illustrated, 1831, sourced from Ancestry Images.
St.Michael 1920, sourced from Streets of Liverpool.
Scotch Secession Church engraved by R. Winkles after a picture by G. & C. Pyne, published in Lancashire Illustrated, 1831, sourced from Ancestry Images.
St. Martin-in-the-Fields 1830, sourced from Genuki.
St. Martin-in-the-Fields after the Blitz, courtesy Gora Grey.
St. Bride 1830 engraved by Lowry after a picture by Harwood, published in Lancashire Illustrated, 1831, sourced from Ancestry Images.
St. Luke south-east engraved by J. Rogers after a picture by T. Allom, published in Lancashire Illustrated, 1831, sourced from Ancestry Images.
St Luke's bombed, sourced from the Liverpool Echo.
St.Luke north west engraved by J. Rogers after a picture by T.Allom, published in Lancashire Illustrated, 1831, sourced from Ancestry Images.
St. Catharine, sourced from Streets of Liverpool.
This is a non-commercial website that is intended entirely for research and educational purposes. If I have unintentionally breached copyright with any images, I hope that the copyright owner will tolerate my usage in the present context, otherwise I will remove the material. Modern colour photographs are by the author unless otherwise indicated.